According to guidelines not more than 2 standard drinks are recommended for diabetics in a day. One standard drink is equal to:100 ml wine, 285 ml regular beer,30 ml spirits, 60 ml fortified wine,375 ml low-alcohol beer (less than 3% alcohol).
• All alcoholic drinks are high in calories and can contribute to weight gain.
• Too much alcohol can increase the risk of developing liver disease and liver plays important role in blood sugar metabolism
• Drinking a lot of alcohol can cause hypoglycemia if you are taking insulin or certain diabetes tablets
• Low alcohol or ‘lite’ beers are a better choice than regular or diet beers because they are lower in alcohol
• When mixing drinks use low joule/diet mixers such as diet cola, diet ginger ale, diet tonic water.